Thursday 22 October 2009

What is a soundscape?

Definition for Soundscape - An atmosphere or environment created by or with sound.
microphone
A soundscape is a sound or a group of sounds which creates an atmosphere of an environment. The idea behind soundscapes is that it can include artificial sounds such as songs and also include real sounds i.e birds.

A composer of post World War Two art music Pauline Oliveros, defined the term soundscape as "All of the waveforms faithfully transmitted to our audio cortex by the ear and its mechanisms". So what Oliveros is saying is that our ear is a mechanism which picks up sound and interprets the sound to how we understand it.

My example of a soundscape - My soundscape is "Walking My Dog" so for this soundscape I start the audio of me saying to my dog "Walkies". Then have audio of me getting out the lead for my dog and then sound of me clipping the lead to the dogs collar and then of a door shutting to show me leaving my house. So this would continue of sounds to document my walk with my dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment